Gibson Les Paul 40th Anniversary - Only 300 ever made -
Sourced from a private collection this beautiful Gibson Les Paul, from 1991, is one of only 300 ever made to commemorate 40 yrs of manufacture of the iconic Les Paul.
This is also the only one in Australia currently available for sale, and the condition of this instrument is better than any we’ve seen. Check out the pics!
The attention to detail and build quality of commemorative/anniversary issue guitars is well known and this rare guitar is no exception. The workmanship, electronics and hardware is all original (with the exception of the black strap locks - original strap buttons are included - as we’ve come to expect from this source) and it even comes with the original Gibson booklet, truss rod/screw tool and case lock instructions!
Serial # ****1309 + click to reveal makes this a 1991, made on the 68th day of the year in the Nashville factory and the 9th instrument stamped that day.
Deservedly, for an instrument of this quality, this guitar has been played but for it’s age it is in great condition and was primarily used as a recording instrument from the previous owner in Melbourne, Victoria.
Here is TMA’s observation of this instrument post inspection and set up;
- Neck - bound ebony fretboard. Straight, minor truss rod adjustment required. Truss rod in perfect working order. 60’s style neck profile. Super comfortable, feels just right. Trapezoid inlays with 40th Anniversary insignia at the 12th fret
- Neck - minor fret wear, 90% Plus condition. No flat spots. Minor fret polish completed. Binding immaculate, Ebony fretboard excellent. Lightly oiled during set up
- Neck - we could not find a single crack in the finish anywhere from the headstock to the heel. Nut in excellent condition.
- Headstock - excellent. A couple of minor indents on the top. Visible but only on close inspection. Gibson Deluxe tuners in perfect working order. Headstock face, excellent. No string scratches. Gold hardware excellent. Logos like new
- Body front - signs of playing wear, primarily to upper bout. Buff not recommended. Polish completed. Lower bout shows little wear. Pick guard and P100 pick up covers yellowed -consistent with age - but show no signs of cracks, indents or markings otherwise made from use
- Body back - no buckle rash. Numerous, minor indentations consistent with use. Excellent condition for age. Light polish only required during set up
- Body mass - nice balance between neck and body. Weight approx. 4.3kgs
- Binding - neck and body, is spectacular and has aged beautifully
- Hardware - bridge polished up nicely. Some signs of corrosion consistent with age but great condition overall. Gold tuners in excellent condition. All adjustment components in full working order. Strap lock buttons installed. Original strap buttons included in case.
- Electronics - P100 pickups, original and in full working order. Medium output consistent with design spec’s. Neck pick up very warm. Bridge pick up set high for more ‘bark and bite’ (action adjusted accordingly) with slightly higher output than the neck pick up. Volume and tone controls inspected and in full working order. Volume and tone roll off beautifully and all wiring appears original. Input jack tested. Some corrosion visible but otherwise fine
- Intonation - minor adjustment only required.
Case - in perfect working order. As good as any we’ve seen at this age. Code lock in perfect working order and instructions included along with original Gibson booklet.
If you’re looking for a unique workhorse Les Paul, or simply wanting to add a rare guitar to your collection - you’ve found it.
We hope the description and attached photos provide you a detailed view of this spectacular guitar. If you have any further questions please call or email as we’d be only too happy to help.
Original case, Gibson booklet, truss rod/screw tool and case lock instructions included!
Video to follow soon - if it doesn’t sell before then.
Worldwide shipping available (contact us for options)